top of page


  • What is Occupational Therapy?
    Occupational Therapists aim to work together with clients and their families to help individuals achieve independence and success in life. Occupational Therapists look at the activities the individual want to, need to, or are expected to do. These could be activities such as work and school, self-care activities such as showering and dressing, and leisure activities such as playing sport or socialising with friends. Occupational Therapists help you get back to activities which are meaningful to you
  • How do I refer to Key O.T.?
    You do not need a General Partitioner or specialist referral to see an Occupational Therapist. However, there are some funding models which provide you with some rebates and they may require you to obtain a referral from your General Practitioner (GP). For example, if your child is eligible under the Chronic Disease Management Plan, they are entitled to Medicare rebates. In this instance, they will need a referral from the GP to access these rebates.
  • Who pays for Occupational Therapy?
    Key O.T. charges an hourly rate for our services. Services may be funded by an individual or as part of a contract (NDIS, Work Cover, Insurance, Home Care package). Key O.T. is able to treat Department of Veteran’s Affairs (DVA) entitled persons. DVA Health Cards (Gold and White) are accepted as payment upon a GP referral. You may be eligible for a rebate if you have Private Health Insurance with extras cover. Clients should check with their health insurer to establish if they are eligible for a rebate. Payment terms are 14 days and we can accept cash, electronic funds transfer and credit card payments.
  • Why might I need to see an Occupational Therapist?
    Home safety; to identify potential hazards or safety concerns Falls prevention planning Prior or post-surgery for equipment prescription, wound or oedema management Recovery from illness or injury: post stroke or upper limb injury Complex rehabilitation or return to work after injury or illness Equipment prescription; wheelchairs, hoists, mobile shower commodes Home modifications: major or minor home modifications (rails, ramps, access, bathroom) Increase independence in activities of daily living and participation in social and community activities Paediatric therapy (see below)
  • How do I know if my child needs Occupational Therapy?
    You may have notice some delays in particular areas or your child may demonstrate difficulties in certain tasks. Children develop at different rates but if you are seeing major discrepancies between your child and other peers, this may be an indicator that your child may need additional assistance. If your child attends childcare or school, it may be a good idea to talk to the educators and teachers about your concerns. They may provide some insight into how your child is at school in those particular tasks.
  • How can an Occupational therapist assist children with handwriting difficulties?
    Occupational therapists are trained in the detailed mechanics of hand function as well as all other aspects that relate to the task of handwriting. The skill of handwriting requires several underlying skills before a child can effectively write. The skills that are needed for handwriting are: Body & Spatial Awareness, Laterality, Directionality, Visual Perception, Visual Motor, Integration, Postural Stability, In Hand Manipulation, Hand Separation, Hand Strength, Movement & Position Awareness, Motor Planning, Ocular Motor Control, Bilateral Integration, Eye Hand Coordination, Sensory Integration, Tactile Discrimination, Memory, Attention, Orientation to Letters, and Sequencing. It is hard to know exactly what is at the root of a handwriting problem without a thorough assessment from an occupational therapist.
bottom of page